Sunday, January 19, 2020

The BEST Thing There Is

Here are some of things that I studied this past week as part of the Come Follow Me lesson. I just LOVED all of it, I love the Book of Mormon and I can already feel a greater happiness in my life as I've really dug deep and flooded my days searching and pondering these scriptures.

I also listened to this lesson video below, and as Brother Wilcox shares in it, 1 Nephi 8 is just so amazing - that one chapter by itself is proof to me that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet. There is no way that Joseph Smith could have made this up. 1 Nephi Chapter 8 is so rich and deep in it's smybolic teaching of our journey through life. We shared it with the kids on Monday night, and it was so great because they were all listening and paying such good attention as we talked about the Fruit of the tree.


What are some words that describe the fruit of the tree?
   1 Nephi 8:11 - Sweet
   1 Nephi 8:11 - White
   1 Nephi 8:12/11:23 - Joyous
   1 Nephi 8:12 - Desirable
   1 Nephi 11:8 - Beautiful
   1 Nephi 11:9 - Precious
   1 Nephi 15:36 - Great
   Alma 32:42 - Pure

With each of those descriptions, it is emphasized that it is Above all other things in that quality - notice:

   it's not just sweet, but "most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted"
   Not just white, but white "to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen"
   Not just joyous but 11:23 "the most joyous to the soul"
   Not just desirable, but "desirable above all other fruit" 11:22 "it is the most desirable above all things"
   Not only beautiful, but "beauty far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty"
   Not just precious, but "precious above all"
   And not just great, but "it is the greatest of all the gifts of God"
   It is "pure above all that is pure"

What is it that the Lord wants us to understand, REALLY UNDERSTAND, about His fruit? Quoting from Bro. Wilcox in the lesson:

"There is NOTHING better than gods fruit. There's nothing out there that compares to the sweetness and beauty and purity of that fruit! There isn't anything anywhere in this UNIVERSE that you can desire and seek for that is going to satisfy and fill you like this! It's not good, it's not better, IT'S THE BEST! That is a truth that we absolutely must come to believe and know. And why is it so far for us to know that? Well, what would you do if you believe that there is something sweeter or more beautiful or more desirable there? You'll leave the tree and look elsewhere for it! You may think there's something sweeter in the great and spacious building or in the strange roads or the forbidden paths. but what happens to those people who try to find joy and sweetness in other places in the dream? They're lost! They're drowned in the river. They're crushed in the fall of the building. If you were to leave the fruit of the tree for the love of the world, you will have chosen the lesser."

Then this quote from C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity:
"What Satan put into the hearts of our remote ancestors was the idea that they could invent some sort of happiness for themselves outside of God, apart from God. And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history: money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery... the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy."

I really liked these two stories of people who came back to the church as they felt after something that was greater and better

Tom Christofferson "there was GREATER Meaning to be had, a deeper purpose...."
Courtney and Rochelle "If it was true, we knew what that meant for our relationship. But, it's true.... and we got the answer that Jesus Christ loves us, the Book of Mormon is true, and that's the it. That's the only truth we need to know." At 13:28 "The truth is that truly matters is your relationship with your Heavenly Father, and truly taking advantage of the atonement of Jesus Christ. 13:55 "We have the faith that our Heavenly Father's plan for us is better than our own. We know, that our Heavenly Father's plan is better!" He will not let you be empty inside.

Also, as I read the chapters this week, I thought of something about the river that I hadn't though before... Like, why is the rod even by that bad river? Can't the path to the tree go through the field instead? Why is it by the river? The river is filthy and represents filthiness and the consequences of sin. I thought maybe it's because people on the path need to see and learn about consequences of sin. We need to see and learn about the opposition and the consequences of bad choices. But we can learn about it without having to suffer it ourselves, we can learn as we see others and the choices that they make. Seeing the filthy river is one of the reasons we are here on earth, to have experiences and learn about opposition!

The 4 Purposes of the Rod
   1 Nephi 8:19 - Protection from the River
   1 Nephi 8:19 - Leads to the Tree
   1 Nephi 8:20 - Keeps us on the Straight and narrow Path
   1 Nephi 8:23 - Gets us through the mists of darkness

The Iron Rod, aka the WORD OF GOD, is solid, firm, reliable, doesn't bend or break. That is the scriptures and the words of the prophets.

The 4 Cs of holding to the rod:
   1 Nephi 8:22 - Commence
   1 Nephi 8:24 - Catch hold
   1 Nephi 8:24 - Cling
   1 Nephi 8:30 - Continually Hold Fast
        and... one extra one
   1 Nephi 8:33 - Heed not those in the Great and Spacious Building
The Lord is offering his fruit to us. He is calling for us to come and partake of the fruit of his love. There is nothing better.

The 4 Things that the Mists Hide
   The tree - Satan doesn't want us to see God's love
   The path and the rod - Satan doesn't want us to see the truth and the difference between right and wrong, moral relativity. Satan blinds us to the clear truths taught by God and his prophets
   The river - at all costs, Satan does not want us to see the consequences of our poor choices. He wants us to see the fun of the building, but not it's crushing collapse.
   The fact that the building has no foundation

I believe that The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and it really is the KEYSTONE of the Church of Jesus Christ. It can be the keystone of each person's individual faith. One thought that was shared at church (by Bliss) was that staying on the strait path is an individual choice and commitment. Maybe there isn't room on there to walk side by side, each person has to walk on it themselves and continually hold fast to the rod by themselves. It is an individual decision and commitment.

The only reason I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is because I truly believe it is the Church of Jesus Christ, and a HUGE part of my testimony is the reality of the Book of Mormon. I believe it is true with all my heart. I know that I am happier when I read it. I know that when I read it, my understanding of life becomes so clear. I love the Book of Mormon. It is a keystone of my faith. 1 Nephi chapter 8 ALONE proves that to me - this chapter is so rich in symbolism and imagery, I know that Joseph Smith could not have written it on his own. It was not written by him, it was a vision given by God to Lehi, recorded by Nephi, for us to read and learn from.

Elder Christofferson gave a devotional address last Sunday Jan 12, and I loved all of it - but I'll skip to the part starting at 38:27 because it goes along perfectly with this lesson God gives about the fruit of the tree.


"That earnest young adult that asked the Savior 'What lack I yet?' is dead, and whatever riches he had probably don't exist anymore, and in any case, he does not have them, nor does he have any use for them."

“As much a sacrifice as it may have seemed to him at the time, did he have a better option than accepting the Master’s invitation? Could anything he had or might have acquired with his riches compare with what the Lord was ultimately offering him?"


Christ is the source of Joy, and he invites us to partake of his love and joy - he offers it to us. The word of God found in the scriptures and the teachings of living prophets will lead us to his Love, and will help us understand and feel our Savior's love. I have felt his love today, there is nothing better, I never want to leave I want to be true and faithful to the end. A talk shared today in sacrament meeting: Stay by the tree. Read the scriptures, everyday everyday everyday!

I love President Grant's Prayer ~
“O God, bless me that I shall not lose my testimony and keep faithful to the end!”

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. Here's my hear, O take a seal it, seal it for thy courts above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...