Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Insights from a Prophet's Life

Well, it's a new year. I have a goal to write more here about the thoughts I have as I read the scriptures, read other gospel books, and listen to General Conference talks and other devotionals. I finished Insights early yesterday morning (1 am on Dec 31st). I loved it.
I am putting the copy I read on our bookshelf, so if you ever borrow that, you can read all the thoughts jotted down as I had them along the way. My two top take aways:

THIS IS GOD'S CHURCH!
The biggest story that impressed me was the one about when, in 1985, Elder Nelson worked to open nations in Eastern Europe that were under the yoke of Communism - see pages 174-182, especially the story of Svetlana Artemova on page 178-179, just wow wow wow, It really gave me a witness that this is God's work and his church!! I loved reading of the miracles in Leningrad Russia.

PRESIDENT NELSON IS A MAN OF GOD
It really strengthened my testimony that President Nelson is a prophet. I believed that before, but this helped my belief become sure. I guess I had a small doubt planted years ago after I read a few Denver Snuffer things and then he was excommunicated and said that Elder Nelson was the one who pushed for that/said Snuffer needed to be disciplined. But after reading this book, I trust him, I trust his intentions and I love his example, I love the life he has lived and I believe with all my heart he is a prophet and seeks the Lord's will. Knowing that he has been guided by God in the past has helped me believe more firmly that he is guided by God now.

A few parts from the book that helped me love President Nelson:

Page 64-65 - Talking about a lesson he learned as a young intern: "Russell, you will never lose control in the operation room. You will always be able to handle things without getting upset. I resolved that I would discipline my body to be subject to the dominion of my spirit."

Pg. 65 - His brethren would say they had never seen him out of control, never seen him lose his temper during even the most intense discussions about critical issues.

Pg. 69-70 - The faith he demonstrated as he went forward with an operation even though after prayer he had no idea what he was going to do for the tricuspid regurgitation. He received the revelation on how to fix it during the operation. "Reduce the circumference of the ring."

Pg. 74 "My life is ready for inspection" - quote from Mickey Oswald, Russell's high school football coach, when he went in for a risky operation. Coach Oswald did not survive.

P. 79 - Danzel was 46 when she had her last child (Russ Jr. was 12 pounds!)

p. 86-87 - A whole paragraph on pg. 86 what he was soooo busy doing when he was called as the new stake president. Yet when asked to serve "Of course I have time, I'll make time. If I have to change my profession I'll do it. If I am called, I will serve."

Pg. 103-109 The operation he performed on President Kimball was an inspiring story

Pg 130 - His responses to his large family and all the noise that comes with it "That's the future of the Church we can hear. It sounds beautiful to me." p. 131 "Oh, that noise lets us know that we are in the right church!" Family is the supreme blessing in life.

p. 137-141 The surgery he performed to save twin babies, the mother was counselled by other doctors to abort them to save her own life from a lung tumor. "Do not allow any doctor to touch those babies, because the Lord will decide if those babies live or die." Page 139 As the mother Trudy went in for surgery: "The Lord and I will take care of you today."

Pgs 174-182 - That whole chapter was AMAZING... I'll have to type it up (did it! HERE), cause you have to read the story of Russia, that was amazing.

I also liked how, after his wife Dantzel died, and as he thought of what he should do, he asked President Hinckley pg. 234 "Is it easier to assign me to serve if I have a wife?" pg. 235 He didn't want anything to interfere with his ability to serve the Lord. Also, the story of how he and Wendy met and the impression she had before was cool. Page 236-241

There is more, but that should be enough to get you interested! It was a great book. One last quote that I loved on page 197:

"We're not alone. There are many people who had a hand in all that transpired in Europe during that era." When asked what he learned from the assignment to open the countries in Eastern Europe, particularly in light of the many sops and starts, failed meetings, and ups and downs, Elder Nelson replied simply: "The Lord likes effort. He could have said to Moses, 'I'll meet you halfway' But Moses had to go all the way to the top of Mount Sinai. He required effort from Moses and Joshua and Joseph Smith and from all the subsequent Presidents of the Church. He requires effort from bishops and stake Relief Society presidents and elders quorum presidents. There is always a test. Are you willing to do really hard things? Once you've shown you're willing to do your part, He will help you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...