Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Visions of Glory

I read this book over the Christmas holidays when I was sick and in bed most every day.  Really excited when I got it as I ordered it before it was published on Nov. 1st, and then it was on back order and I had to wait for over a month, so sad!  I read through it quickly - I really enjoyed the first part of his first 2 near death experiences, then the last part with his vision left me a little lost, maybe lost isn't the right word, it got to be a little long and repetitive, or maybe too much details and not enough insights really on the "Therefore, what?" so I was left scratching my head a little.
So, I'd say that Visions of Glory is really two books and would prefer to briefly review separately. The first book is the Near Death Experiences of Spencer, a devout LDS living in the Salt Lake City region. The second book is his visions (or rehearsals?) for his mission at the end of days. Pontius and Spencer are careful to note that only the Church Authorities can receive revelations for the whole church, and offer the latter's visions as a soft warning of what may soon happen.  Also, I don't really know much about Spencer, but totally loved Pontius' other two books, Triumph of Zion and Following the Light of Christ into His Presence, so I do trust Spencer's experience cause I trust John's opinion.

So, as NDE, Spencer's insights are typical and ring true as to what I've read in other books - seeing spirits good and evil compete to influence, control, or use us.  I liked the part when he walked through furniture and had a complete knowledge of all the material it was made with, like knowing about the lives of the cows that had been used for the leather, and how the animals and trees were all grateful that they could be used in a way that benefited man.  Again, good stuff that all rang true.

As Prophecy book, for me it's two/three stars, mostly got me watching out and preparing mentally for an earthquake that devastates Salt Lake City during the fall, yikes, so keeping that on my mental watchlist, yet still taking all with a grain of salt, cause we don't know how much of it was symbolic or instructional, although Spencer believes (I think) that it was a vision of his future life, so again, his experience, not sure how it pertains to what I'll experience in my future if these events are the future for Utah/North America.  (Maybe we'll move back to Chile - haha)

All in all, the book is a very interesting read.  Corey read it too.  I recommend it although as Corey said when he was done, which is like me, we're not sure what to do with all the information.  Some of it I get and agree with, other parts I'm left curious and/or confused.  I perceive that I am weak (3 Nephi 17:2-3) - so, I'll keep seeking, pondering, and asking the Lord.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...