Sunday, April 14, 2013

More Obedient

I was reading an ebook yesterday (learned about it on this blog post) and I was reading the section titled "How to Obtain Knowledge" and it's talking about Obedience, and I was thinking about President Monson's and Elder Perry's talks from conference, both of which I absolutely loved, and as I read I was thinking to myself if there is anything that I am not obedient in.  So I'm pondering my obedience as I read these scriptures he references and some of the authors quick thoughts about them:

“Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come” (D&C 130:18-9).
We lose knowledge if we become complacent. Wo be unto him that shall say: We have received the word of God, and we need no more of the word of God, for we have enough! . . . unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have” (2 Nephi 28:29-30).
We lose knowledge if we become disobedient. “Who am I that made man, saith the Lord, that will hold him guiltless that obeys not my commandments? Who am I, saith the Lord, that have promised and have not fulfilled? I command and men obey not; I revoke and they receive not the blessing. Then they say in their hearts: This is not the work of the Lord, for his promises are not fulfilled. But wo unto such, for their reward lurketh beneath, and not from above” (D&C 58:30-3).
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge . . . if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God”(Proverbs 1:7, 2:3-5).
“And it is the faith which we have had on the things which our king has spoken unto us that has brought us to this great knowledge, whereby we do rejoice with such exceedingly great joy” (Mosiah 5:4). “Faith leads to obedience, but knowledge follows obedience” (Orson Pratt, The Essential Orson Pratt, 217).
“I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be” (2 Nephi 32:7).
“And a portion of that Spirit dwelleth in me, which giveth me knowledge, and also power according to my faith and desires which are in God” (Alma 18:35).
“God shall give unto you knowledge by his Holy Spirit, yea, by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost, that has not been revealed since the world was until now” (D&C 121:26).
“I say unto you, were it not for these things that these records do contain, which are on these plates, Ammon and his brethren could not have convinced so many thousands of the Lamanites of the incorrect tradition of their fathers; yea, these records and their words brought them unto repentance; that is, they brought them to the knowledge of the Lord their God, and to rejoice in Jesus Christ their Redeemer” (Alma 37:9).
“And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings [the Word of Wisdom], walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures” (D&C 89:18-9).

And so when I read that last one, a major light bulb went off - it reminded me of this over-veggie packed grocery list (and me kinda scoffing as I think about me actually eating like this, thinking "no way" - this is a little too healthy) and eating healthy in general (I'd made some chocolate chip cookies and had eaten too many of them and was feeling gross, excusing myself that it was okay cause I was going to start being healthy on Monday)  But a little voice in my head said "hello!!  Here's a place where there's lots of room for you to show improvement obedience-wise." And I thought "I wouldn't have thought that I wasn't obedient to the word of wisdom, but yeah, maybe I'm not!"  I mean how many times do I have to make little half hearted resolutions to eat better cause I think it will help me lose weight and feel better?  Sure, those are reasons, but self, this is a commandment, and if I am more obedient to this commandment, just look at those promises!  Health, being more full of happiness and light, which will lead naturally to finding wisdom and great treasures of knowledge!  Even Hidden treasures!  Am I willing to be obedient?  Well sure, I'd like to understand the mysteries, but I've been pondering it and seeking it and nothing much is happening.  Well, those things are blessings that come from obedience to law.  Am I willing to be obedient to prove myself and earn them, it's just a basic law of obedience, and if I'm obedient, I'll receive - am I willing to try the word?  

More obedience give me.  More strivings within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...