Thursday, July 10, 2014

Firm Foundation

Ethan gave a talk in sacrament meeting on June 15th. I helped him a little. His topic was "Building a Foundation of Faith on the Gospel of Jesus Christ." Here is part of his talk ~

"In Peru, Much of the city of Cusco is literally built on ancient Inca ruins. The workmanship of the carved stones, all fit together without mortar, is amazing. The walls are strong because they were made from precisely cut stones, many with interior interlocking arms, somewhat like giant ancient Legos. It is ironic that we call them “ruins” because, even though they were constructed many centuries ago, most of them remain perfectly intact today.
"Peru is a land of many earthquakes. There was terrible destruction in a 2007 earthquake there. Through the centuries disasters like this have occurred repeatedly in Peru. Buildings built recently in our time often have crumbled under these quakes, but the Inca-built foundations and structures remain secure. Somehow these ancient stones, fit together perfectly, withstand whatever natural disasters occur. They remain a firm foundation."

I've continued to think of this during the past few months, since Snuffer's excommunication last September and continuing through this past month with the Kate Kelly and John Dehlin stuff. So, I read a few of Snuffers books and liked them fine, I've followed his blog a little bit and take it with a gran of salt, and Corey and I often discuss the latest comments of other readers during our date night conversations. So, as I said in my last post, who is right? Who do we follow? Is Snuffer a sure foundation for me? He says that he's just trying to lead people to Christ and that he only teaches from scriptures. Well, what do the scriptures say? WHO were the scriptures even written by?!? PROPHETS.

"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone." - Ephesians 2:20

So some think that Snuffer is a prophet because he says he has seen and spoken with the Lord. I don't doubt him, but I also don't know. If he has though, what then? What about the brethren? Have they too? Well, personally I already know they are guided by the Lord, because many of my prayers have been answered by them, and my life has been so blessed by their teachings. Are they both prophets? Can they both be led by the Lord and yet be at odds with each other? Who do we follow? Should we be more loyal to Snuffer than the Brethren? Perhaps some feel that they should, but I wouldn't. Following the brethren and remaining in the church give me anchor. I need and want the strength that comes from trusting the Lord's prophets. The prophets have been commissioned the following by Christ:

"Go ye therefore and teach all nations... teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." - Matthew 28:19-20

Those who want to follow Christ and his prophets, are to do WHATSOEVER thing the Lord commands us. Not all things that are true for you or all things that make you authentic to yourself, not all things politically correct, not all things that are culturally acceptable, not all things that are true according to law or scripture alone, BUT ALL THINGS WHATSOEVER I HAVE COMMANDED YOU.

And whether through is voice or the voice of his servants, it is the same (all of them together are the FOUNDATION spoken of in Ephesians). If I was told to cease publication of a book by the Lord's servants, I would have done it. If I was told to stop an organization I had started, I would have done it, even if it meant I would then be "inauthentic" to myself (quote from Kelly half way down in this article). Authenticity is not the first law of heaven. Obedience is. I'm sure Satan is being "authentic" to himself, but that's not going to get him out of his miserable situation. When Abraham went to sacrifice Issac, I'm sure that required him to be inauthentic to himself. I'm sure it went against laws and teachings that he had learned about previously. IT WAS A TEST. We are all tested. We are to be obedient, that's what the test is about, if we are willing to lay everything we want and think and are on the altar and go forward with trust in God.

We're supposed to be totally inauthentic to ourselves! Forget me and what I want and what I am, God wants me to become what He wants and like He is. That's going to require a lot of "living inauthentically" along the way. We are to kill our natural men and become new creatures in Christ. Love this quote by CS Lewis:

Christ says, "Give me All. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good...Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked--the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you Myself: my own will shall become yours."

We are to obey everything that is commanded by the Lord. So, how do we know if a commandment, rule, tradition, expectation, teaching, etc... how do we know if it's commanded by the Lord? There are three ways, and these three ways should never be at odds with each other. These three things are the Iron Rod and the sure foundation we should build our lives upon: HOLY GHOST - LIVING PROPHETS - SCRIPTURES. More on the iron rod later. For prep read John Pontius "Following the Light of Christ" and listen to this talk by President Harold B. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...