Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Glory

Senator John McCain Oct 2020 - Foreword to "Devil At My Heels" book by Louis Zamperini:

"Like Louis Zamperini, I learned the truth in war: There are greater pursuits than self-seeking. Glory is not a conceit or a decoration for valor. It is not a prize for being the most clever, the strongest, or the boldest. Glory belongs to the act of being constant to something greater than yourself, to a cause, to your principles, to the people on whom you rely, and who rely on you in return. No misfortune, no injury, no humiliation can destroy it.

"Like Louis, I discovered in war that faith in myself proved to be the least formidable strength I possessed when confronting alone organized inhumanity on a greater scale than I had conceived possible. In prison, I learned that faith in myself alone, separate from other, more important allegiances, was ultimately no match for the cruelty that human beings could devise when they were entirely unencumbered by respect for the God-given dignity of man. This is the lesson many American's, including Louis, learned in prison. It is, perhaps, the most important lesson we have ever learned, 

"Through war, and in peace, Louis Zampernini found his faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...