Monday, April 30, 2012

The Merciful Obtain Mercy


Great talk.  Two things he said are already all over pinterest, and they are cute.  ("Stop It!" and "Don't Judge me cause I sin differently than you") ...but I hope I can remember that the gospel isn't about looking and memorizing these cute sayings that make good home decor, I need to DO the things that those clever quotes I love tell me to do, so I can become who God wants me to become.

All of this talk by Elder Uchtdorf is great, the questions he asks remind of the questions Alma asked the people of Zarahemla in Alma 5.  I also loved the end of his talk:

Brothers and sisters, there is enough heartache and sorrow in this life without our adding to it through our own stubbornness, bitterness, and resentment.
We are not perfect.
The people around us are not perfect.19 People do things that annoy, disappoint, and anger. In this mortal life it will always be that way.
Nevertheless, we must let go of our grievances. Part of the purpose of mortality is to learn how to let go of such things. That is the Lord’s way.
Remember, heaven is filled with those who have this in common: They are forgiven. And they forgive.
Lay your burden at the Savior’s feet. Let go of judgment. Allow Christ’s Atonement to change and heal your heart. Love one another. Forgive one another.
The merciful will obtain mercy.

Doing these things is how Zion will be brought about - it's not about building a government or social program that makes us change, we need to change and become Zion, it will be built by us, it is not built for us.  We need to do it, this is the work we've been called to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...