Monday, August 19, 2013

Let Your Happiness Shine

In 1975, the Church did an extensive survey of new converts to determine what it was about the Church that had initially interested them (article here). These were the results, in order of frequency of mention:

1) The feeling of closeness to God that they wanted to experience because they could see this closeness in the lives of Mormons they knew.

2) Happiness and a sense of peace, which they wanted and which they saw in the lives of Mormons they knew.

3) They wanted a better sense of purposefulness and direction in their lives. They tended to see this in Mormons they knew.

Only 9% of new converts said that doctrine was the main thing that attracted them to the Church. For all who are baptized and remain active, doctrine becomes much of the glue that cements them in the Church, but it typically isn't what they were looking for at the outset. And from my testimony in the previous post, when it comes down to it, the doctrine isn't what converted me either. It was the happiness and joy that I felt when I believe. Here are some other stories from converts who are finding joy in the gospel.
That happiness is still a huge part of my testimony today. Keeping the commandments and obedience to God's laws continue to give me peace and joy. I hope I can help others find this same happiness, it is found in loosing yourself and putting God first. I'm very happy when I let go of worry and doubt and turn my problems over to Him. I know I can trust him and that I will be happy as I say "Thy will be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...