Friday, February 28, 2014

How to Fortify Your Family

When individual members and families immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, . . . other areas of activity will automatically come. Testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow.
- President Ezra Taft Benson

The quote above is from a devotional talk that is in my classics file: The Simpleness of the Way by Stanley Johnson. I love every part of it. Brother Johnson shares with us how simple it is to have the guidance of the Holy Ghost. And we need it more than ever ~

In March 1979 President Marion G. Romney, then second counselor in the First Presidency, gave a BYU devotional titled “Guidance of the Holy Spirit.” He stated:
"As conditions worsen, it becomes more apparent every day that we are on a collision course with disaster. I am persuaded that nothing short of the guidance of the Holy Spirit can bring us through safely."
He then explained some profound truths. “If you want to obtain and keep the guidance of the Spirit, you can do so by following this simple four-point program”:
1. Pray
2. Study and learn the gospel
3. Live righteously
4. Give service in the Church
President Romney continued: “If you will do these things, you will get the guidance of the Holy Spirit and you will go through this world successfully, regardless of what the people of the world say or do.

What a wonderful promise!! Yes, as Bro. Johnson quotes, "We are on a collision course with disaster." I want to protect my family, I want to fortify my home to protect myself, my husband, and my children from the evils in the world. I can through scripture study. I can through the Holy Ghost. I will have the Holy Ghost guiding me as I follow those simple steps:

1. Pray
2. Study and learn the gospel
3. Live righteously
4. Give service in the Church

Sound too simple to make any difference? Perhaps, unless we have ears to hear. The wise virgins who will be invited to the wedding feast will have taken the Holy Spirit to be their guide. We need the Holy Spirit. Listen to the talk below to be reminded how, read/print it here.

That man is greatest and most blessed and joyful whose life most closely fits the pattern of the Christ. This has nothing to do with earthly wealth, power, or prestige. The only true test of greatness, blessedness, joyfulness is how close a life can come to being like the Master, Jesus Christ. He is the right way, the full truth, and the abundant life.
- President Ezra Taft Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...