Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Isaiah

I've been stuck in my scripture reading lately. I started to read the Book of Mormon again, and my plan was to read 1 Nephi in January (check), 2 Nephi in February... and that's where I'm still at in March. I'm stuck here in 2 Nephi cause I am doing some digging in the Isaiah chapters, especially things about the last days, trying to understand.

Anyone have insights into what in the world Isaiah 5:25-30 means? Particularly verse 29, quoted by Nephi in 2 Nephi 15:25-30 where the word "lion" has a cross references to 3 Nephi 21:12 when Jesus Christ was teaching people on the American continent:

12 And my people who are a remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles, yea, in the midst of them as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep, who, if he go through both treadeth down and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.

I'm trying to understand what that means that the remnant (not totally sure who that is) will tear the Gentiles (Americans?) in pieces?

I got several books from the library that I'm not having time to digest as much as I'd like, but it's still good stuff. The Meyers recommended Isaiah Decoded by Avraham Gileadi which looked good, but they didn't have it at the library, but I did find Isaiah in the Book of Mormon which I've started - it's a scholarly work and so I need to go slow, thus it might take me a while. At the library I also found The Cleansing of America and I really like it, exciting latter-day stuff, fun to see the author's interpretation. Don't know if I agree with it, but it's still good food for thought. I personally don't believe we'll be crawling out of caves when Christ comes again. I don't believe Christ is building up his kingdom and building temples just to destroy everything and start over again for the Millennium. Skousen quotes Isaiah a lot, and my initial opinion is that Isaiah verses are more symbolic than literal, so I'm trying to think of what it could mean - it's fun, it's like a puzzle: we get to try and piece together things we see in our day and age with what prophets of the scriptures said, and putting that together also with what modern prophets are teaching (very excited for General Conference! It is always soooo good!) I'm really starting to thinking it's all about FAMILY.

Isaiah 2:2 - 3
2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.


Originally the Mormon pioneers wanted to name their state "Deseret" but Congress was a little hostile to the Mormons didn't want that name with religious significance to the Mormons, so they proposed the name Utah after the Ute Indians. Well guess what is cool when you consider the above verse of Isaiah: "Utah" is a Ute Indian word that means tops of the mountains.

And here is a great article by Bruce R. McConkie - 10 Keys to Understanding Isaiah:

1. Gain an Over-All Knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and of God’s Dealings with His Earthly Children.
2. Learn the Position and Destiny of the House of Israel in the Lord’s Eternal Scheme of Things.
3. Know the Chief Doctrines about Which Isaiah Chose to Write.
4. Use the Book of Mormon.
5. Use Latter-Day Revelation.
6. Learn How the New Testament Interprets Isaiah.
7. Study Isaiah in Its Old Testament Context.
8. Learn the Manner of Prophesying Used among the Jews in Isaiah’s Day.
9. Have the Spirit of Prophecy.
10. Devote Yourself to Hard, Conscientious Study.

Another great thing that President Packer said in this article "Things of My Soul":
"...the Lord had a purpose in preserving the prophecies of Isaiah in the Book of Mormon, notwithstanding they become a barrier to the casual reader. ...a barrier, like a roadblock or a checkpoint beyond which the casual reader, one with idle curiosity, generally will not go.:

I have a desire to understand Isaiah, and I'm going to feed that desire. I am excited to continue to search his words, for as the Savior said "great are the words of Isaiah" - 3 Nephi 23:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...