Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Who Am I Working For?

On Sunday, we watched the movie "New York Doll" about a rock band guy who joined the LDS church and worked at a Family History Library in California. The boys liked it, seeing Arthur tell his rock band friends about the word of wisdom and quietly share some of his Mormon beliefs. It was a perfect demonstration of a quote by President Hinckley we had read during Family MTC - at the end of section 1, (page 16 in the manual):

President Gordon B. Hinckley (1995–2008)

“We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory, ‘to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man’ (Moses 1:39). Your obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1995, 94; or Ensign, May 1995, 71).
“Let there be cultivated an awareness in every member’s heart of his own potential for bringing others to a knowledge of the truth. Let him work at it. Let him pray with great earnestness about it” (“Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep,” Ensign, May 1999, 106).
Arthur Kane was able to talk to people and be an example to them in a way that President Hinckley couldn't have done. We each have people in our spheres of responsibility that we need to reach out to and that we can influence and bless for good.

Then on Monday I had a few more thoughts and listened to a few things during the day that made me want to continue of this theme for our Family Home Evening. First we sang "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go". Then I shared with them the first part of this talk by Elder Christofferson in April 1993.(He is our neighbor and in our ward, so they got a big kick out of seeing him look "sooo different" and young!) So he shared how he had a ward calling to lock up the building and open it for people. His thoughts on that calling:

But I began to learn then, as I have come to understand since, that any call, any service, in our Lord’s cause sanctifies us. Whether it is performed in the glare of the public eye or in a quiet corner known only to God is of no consequence. What matters is that we do serve, for by serving we keep our covenants with Deity, and in those covenants is the promise of salvation.

Arthur Kane serving in a little Family History Library or Elder Christofferson now as an apostle - our callings and positions in the church or world are of no consequence to the Lord, the only thing that matters is that we serve and keep our covenants with Him.

Which went along with my last thought that I shared - this statement taken from a speech President Obama gave over the weekend about stay at home mothers (I'm linking to the Snopes of it since I recognize it was taken out of context, but still, I think society values contribution at the workplace more than at home. No one would say it, but their actions show it):

"Sometimes, someone ... usually mom ... leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. That's not a choice we want Americans to make. So let's make this happen. By the end of this decade, let's enroll 6 million children in high quality preschool ..."


So, then I ended by testifying of my own thoughts from a few years ago, wondering what my mission was, wondering what I could do to influence and make a difference in the world. It doesn't feel like I'm going anything important when I'm in the mundane day to day grind, but I know that this is where God wants me, even if no one will ever see, as it says in the poem below. Ended with these two thoughts:

As we follow that Man of Galilee—even the Lord Jesus Christ—our personal influence will be felt for good wherever we are, whatever our callings.
Our appointed task may appear insignificant, unnecessary, unnoticed. Some may be tempted to question:
“Father, where shall I work today?”
And my love flowed warm and free.
Then he pointed out a tiny spot
And said, “Tend that for me.”
I answered quickly, “Oh no, not that!
Why, no one would ever see,
No matter how well my work was done.
Not that little place for me.”
And the word he spoke, it was not stern; …
“Art thou working for them or for me?
Nazareth was a little place,
And so was Galilee.” 2
The family is the ideal place for teaching. It is also a laboratory for learning. Family home evening can bring spiritual growth to each member.
“The home is the basis of a righteous life, and no other instrumentality can take its place or fulfill its essential functions.” 3
- President Thomas S. Monson ~ "You're Personal Influence" April 2004 General Conference

When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlastingfamily will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time. The women of God know this.
Elder Neal A. Maxwell ~ "Women of God" April 1978 General Conference

I'm grateful to be a mother and to work for Him in my little home. I recognize that we have been very blessed and have been planted in a good spot of land in His vineyard, we will do our best to serve God and bring forth good fruit to him as we serve our family and our brothers and sisters on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...