Thursday, June 28, 2012

Understanding the Book of Mormon


I stayed up a little too late last night reading this book - so far, it's excellent.  Hardy encourages us to approach the Book of Mormon at face value - no matter who wrote it, Joseph Smith or ancient prophets, whether it's a true book of scripture of a fictional work, let's review it based on it's own merits.  This book makes a strong case that when examined closely, the Book of Mormon "exhibits a literary exuberance that frustrates quick judgments and reductive analysis" (267). By shifting "attention away from Joseph Smith and back to the Book of Mormon itself, a common discourse becomes possible" through literary analysis (xvi).

I'm excited to continue reading, it's already brought me new insights and opened my mind to things I'd never notices or considered before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...