Monday, July 23, 2012

Prophets of God

As I've been pondering the ten virgins and wondering how it's possible that members of the church could be deceived, I read this post today to find what I think is an example of someone who I believe claims to be a faithful member of the church, yet I was amazed that he thinks the Proclamation is not a revelation from God and thus discounts it.  I quote from that post:

More relevantly to my own religious tradition, if I had a deep conviction that my church’s Proclamation on the Family was a revelation from God, then opposing same-sex marriage would continue to make good politico-theological sense; after all, if God in His goodness makes all His children eternally male or female, with pre-ordained and naturally validated sexual roles, then legitimating same-sex marriages might well be a matter of legitimating a mortal possibility which could only result in deep spiritual confusion and harm. .... But fortunately for myself in this matter, as I’ve long kind of felt that much–not all, but much–of what some Mormons like to claim regarding divine embodiment, the sociality of eternally gendered beings, and endless procreative expansion, was both scripturally unwarranted and kind of dumb, not taking the (non-canonized!) Proclamation’s theological claims, and all the arguments about them, particularly seriously has been easy for me. 


Amazing to me. We need to be very careful to not be deceived.  We need to take the Holy Spirit as our guide, we need to give the Lord the reigns, as Elder Watson counsels in this talk:



From this talk above we can know that the Proclamation is a Revelation from God, not of man.  As Elder Watson teaches: 

Prior to his passing in December 1973, President Lee, speaking to an assembled group of Church employees and their families, posed the question after giving a history of the Church’s welfare program: “Do you believe these prophets knew what they were talking about?” Later in the same address, concerning the Brethren’s counsel to guard against the permissiveness invading the home through inappropriate literature and television, he asked, “Are you too close to the Brethren [so that you] think of them not as prophets but as men just guessing [such counsel] might be a good thing?”

The prophets and apostles are NOT just guessing about Marriage and Family.  They are giving us counsel that will keep us safe if we have ears to hear.  Awake and arise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...