Friday, August 17, 2012

Complaining Makes It Worse!

We took the kids on a day trip yesterday.  They complained, no more than usual ratio wise, except since we were trying to do more than usual it really upped the intensity of their murmuring.  I nick named Hyrum & Wesley "Laman & Lemuel" when they were in my car.  Although Ethan (who once again earned the title of "Top Complainer") was worse than both of them and had been banished from my car after enduring him for the first 3 hours of the trip down.  Anyway, reminded me of this quote from this talk by Elder Holland.

"Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of Elder Holland’s maxims for living—no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse."


I heard that talk when it was given in April 2007.  I was listening to conference over the internet in a little chacara in the middle of the tropical bushlands of Campinas, Brazil.  And I was in full complaining mode.  It was what I needed to hear and helped me repent, although I still struggled.  To read about my life and the reasons why I complained, you may spend as much time as you'd like reading this long post/journal entry of that time.  I'm grateful for that experience and that that experience helped me learn to endure, even though I didn't endure it well at that time, I'm grateful for how much I've improved. 

1 comment:

  1. thank you so much for linking up at SAST! I love this talk by Elder Holland, and now I know what our FHE lesson will be about this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...