Monday, August 20, 2012

Lead Kindly Light

From Following the Light of Christ, page 121 ~

The path to perfection is only as difficult as each person chooses to make it.  If we keep letting go of the rod of iron and wandering off, then fighting our way back, it will become a task of exceeding difficulty and pain.  We will battle every fault, every weakness, and every imperfection we posses, until we are bruised, bloodied, and defeated.  Then, only once the pain is sufficiently intense, once the anguish is seemingly permanent, once it has cost more that we could ever have realized and we have been beaten into submission by the travails of life and buffetings of Satan, then perhaps we will humbly submit ourselves to the Lord.

"Lord, I can't do this any longer ~ I feel helpless and alone ~ Please, please hear my plea ~ Please forgive me and lead me on the path of righteousness, and give me the strength to stay there, for I know the pain of the forbidden paths and year for the joy and rest of the righteous." 

If this is your prayer, then you are ready to feast on the Savior's own words:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my  yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

What a beautiful promise this is.  What hope and peace is offered here.  The Savior is the one commissioned to defeat Satan and the word.  We can't do His work for Him.  All we need do is conquer ourselves by yielding to His will.  He will bear our burdens and give us rest if we just cast our burdens upon Him and take upon us His yoke.

How does one cast one's burdens upon the Lord?  The answer is twofold.  First, repent.  When the humbled soul is ready, repentance is a fantastic relief.  Second, yield yourself to His guidance through the Holy Spirit, which first manifests itself as your conscience.  Depend on Him for solutions, wait upon Him for direction, and obey with all the courage and energy of your soul.  Spend less energy and emotion trying to figure things out, and put that effort into developing faith and obedience.  Your investment int eh Lord will pay rich dividends.  He is the "kindly light" that leads us on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...