Monday, August 13, 2012

Have I Done Any Good?


I remember one time last summer when I was feeling particularly useless (7 months pregnant and barely able to keep up with doing the dishes every day, house was a mess, wasn't being very helpful to the kids, etc) and the song "Have I done any Good" came into my mind.

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.


As I sang the song, I kept saying "didn't do that... didn't do that... didn't do that..." until the song was over. Yup, I'm pretty much a failure right now. I sang it again to decide what I might do to do good in the world today ~ and on the second time around, I realized that I had helped someone's burden be lighter... a close neighbor was expecting and experiencing the first dreadful months of morning sickness, and her kids had been spending a lot of time over at our house playing with my kids.

Now I hadn't counted that before, cause that wasn't a big deal to me, when her kids came over they all just played nicely and it didn't feel hard or like service, but I guess it was helpful to her, so maybe I had done something good, but I hadn't even noticed. (as a side note, this lady's husband mentioned this later when he spoke in Sacrament meeting, and then someone else heard about it and mentioned it too, I was humbled that I got any credit for such a small thing (see here at 4:08.))

I didn't really consider that it counted as service, and that might be key - we read in Matthew 25 that the righteous who are praised by the Lord for their service to their fellow man are not even aware of what he's talking about, asking the Lord "When did I do that?"

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the lease of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:34-40

And then I think he will open their minds to all the small and simple things they did that lifted their brothers and sisters. As President Monson has said "Often small acts of service are all that is required to lift and bless another: a question concerning a person's family, quick words of encouragement (like his quick words in an elevator to Elder Cook of "Remember, it's better to look up!" in the video below), a sincere compliment, a small note of thanks, a brief telephone call. If we are observant and aware, and if we act on the promptings which come to us, we can accomplish much good."



So how can we do much good? There are two things he requires: our hearts and a willing mind

“Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days” (D&C 64:34).

I can do that! and I will today as I strive to become a true friends, a friend who cares, who loves, listens, and reaches out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...