Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Paintings of Christ

On page 19 of the book/manual Teaching of the Presidents of the Church: Harold B. Lee, is this picture of Christ by C. Bosseron Chambers. It took me a while to find a picture of it on the internet. It was one of President Lee's favorites. Due to the similarities, I think Del Parson's "The Lord Jesus Christ" was based on Chambers' painting. This picture of Christ below is the one I most associate with my childhood - I remember it being the picture that was in the primary room when I went to church. It is titled "Head of Christ" by American artist Warner Sallman -More recently, I am impressed with the story behind Akiane Kramerik's picture of Christ, titled "Prince of Peace", and also a second witness to her painting from Cloton Burpo in the Heaven Is For Real book (p. 141-145 in my copy) Colton went to heaven in a near death experience and saw Jesus, and people would ask him about what Jesus looked like and if "this one" was right, but the paintings never were, so they'd instead start to ask "What's wrong with this one?" But when he saw this painting by Akiane...He stared at it without speaking for a few moments and then told his father "Dad, that one's right." 

I also loved the story behind casting Tomas Kofod as the Savior in the LDS film "The Testaments of One Fold and One Shepherd" - Some day I know I will see him again and I believe, as it has been said by others, that I might be surprised at how familiar his face it. I pray for and will continue to work so I may have his spirit with me and have his image in my countenance.

2 comments:

  1. Tiffanie: You have a nice blog here. I was delighted to find the reference to C. Bosseron Chambers after searching for an hour on ebay to find a better copy of that print since my grandma used to have it in her room, but it had faded since I inherited it. The artist for the head of Christ that you say you are not sure who the artist name is would be Warner Sallman, born 1892 and died 1968. Internet sources say 50,000,000 prints of that have been sold or used in all kinds of Christian churches. Maybe someone already said something :)
    Crystie in Sandy Utah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystie! Here I am 4 years later and only now seeing your comment. Thank you for pointing me to Warner Sallman, I just edited this post to include that, thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...